A major change that needs to take place in our society is the move from fast fashion to sustainable slow fashion ASAP!
Here at Origin X Performance, we believe sustainable slow fashion is the future.
This is why we try to be as sustainable as possible in all our business practices, which includes:
We are striving to produce more clothing using sustainable methods and will work with our suppliers to source the best sustainable fabrics and materials possible!
Organic cotton- uses considerably less water, pesticides & insecticides
Cotton provides a massive threat to the environment and is definitely not sustainable.
Within the growth process of cotton, between 7,000 and 29,000 litres of water is used to produce 1 kilogram of cotton. This has a huge impact on the worlds water supplies and affects communities living near cotton production facilities.
Another impact cotton has is that the worlds production uses about 24% of the worlds insecticides and 11% of pesticides.
However, here at Origin X Performance, we have produced an answer to these problems. Enter our organic cotton. All our garments (if they require cotton) use organic cotton. Our organic cotton is a natural GMO (genetically modified item) free fibre that uses a lot less water compared to standard cotton and uses zero chemicals, which allows us to maintain soil health and eco system sustainability.
Recycled polyester using Ocean Balance technology
Ocean Balance technology uses ocean waste plastics and post consumer plastic bottles, and turns them into wearable fabrics at their approved recycling facilities. The following describes this process:
- All plastic products are separated into different types of plastic, which also allows for the separation of caps and labels.
- Flakes are then produced from this plastic waste.
- The flakes are washed and melted.
- Yarns are then pulled from the melted polyester.
- This results in a raw material that can be used for fabric production.
- This is produced into a variety of different Ocean Balance fabrics.
Therefore, if we use Ocean Balance yarn to create Marine Balance fabrics it can;
- Save 3.785 litres of oil based products
- The water this saves can provide drinking water for 1 person for 5 days
- Saves the equivalent of the amount of greenhouse gases emitted when driving a hybrid car for 25km
Ocean Balance technology produces five different types of fabrics;
- AirBalance- 100% recycled polyester
- MarineBalance- 100% recycled polyester
- EnergyBalance- 100% recycled polyester
- Stretch4Balance- 82% recycled polyester, 22% elastane
- Stretch4Balance Nylon- 78% recycled nylon, 22% elastane of xtra life lycra
Other facts about Ocean Balance include;
- The process uses up to 86% less water
- The process uses 70% less energy
- Ocean Balance fabrics use up to 75% lower emissions in the production process
- 1kg of Ocean Balance can use the equivalent of 75 plastic water bottles
Our packaging is 100% eco-friendly
At Origin X Performance, we are proud to say that our packaging is 100% biodegradable and/or compostable.
The tags on the clothing are made from pulp. Pulp is a clean wood based, renewable and biodegradable raw material. It is much better for the environment than card or paper.
Additionally, the Jute twine (similar to string) that attaches the tags to the clothing is 100% natural, biodegradable and compostable. Jute fibres are composed primarily of the plant materials cellulose and lignin.
The self sealing compostable poly mailer is made up of film that has been accredited to be ‘OK biobased’. It is produced out of annually renewable PLA derived from plant starches (corn / potato etc) and is fully biodegradable and compostable, breaking down to CO2 and H2O.
The biodegradable poly mailer bag is produced using resin. Resin is a viscous or solid substance of plant and is usually made up of natural organic compounds.
The A4 postage labels are biodegradable, compostable and recyclable. They are made from cane fibres and do not contain any silicone.
Everything that can be made using sustainable methods is and this is how it is going to stay!
Our Partnership with One Tree Planted
This is something we are very excited about. We are committed to the environment and as well as manufacturing everything using sustainable methods and making sure our packaging is biodegradable and/or compostable, we have also partnered with the charity One Tree Planted.
For every order you make with us, we will commit to planting one tree!
So who are One Tree Planted?
OneTree Planted want to create a healthier climate, protect biodiversity and help reforestation efforts around the world. All by planting trees!
They started in 2014, and since then have doubled the amount of trees they plant every year. They plant trees all round the world and this helps bring the wildlife and biodiversity back to areas whilst creating jobs, communities, and protecting areas from flooding!
Want to know more? Please watch the video below or visit their website!