Healthy Snacks to Munch on After Your Next Workout
Workouts are demanding of the body and after an intense and sweaty one, we need to make sure we are replenishing our muscles and cells with not only some H20 but some healthy snacks too!
Some snacks are even known to help your sore muscles recover a bit quicker.
- Spinach: Spinach is always a good option, whether you're putting it in a new meal plan or having it after a workout. It has wonderful anti-inflammatory properties, is packed with vitamins A , B and C and its a source of protein! The best part about spinach is it doesn't have to be eaten in a salad, or roasted up in the oven. You can throw it into a post-workout shake or smoothie without tasting it!.
- Chia seeds: Chia seeds are another amazing option for post-workout snacks. Again, they can be added into your smoothie, or even on top of a smoothie bowl or yogurt. Ever heard of Chia Seed Pudding? Its a great dessert and snack option. Additionally, these little seeds are jam-packed with the 9 essential amino acids and are a great source of key minerals needed for a quick exercise recovery.
- Oatmeal: A super fast way to replenish your body after a workout is eating some easily prepared oatmeal, which you can put some slices of bananas on (bananas: another great snack, filled with carbs and potassium which are both muscle-friendly for post workout snacks! Whole grain is an important staple to our diets.
- Apples with peanut / almond butter: A fruity, protein filled snack to replenish your energy levels and muscles after a work out.
- Avocado: An amazing source of loads of vitamins and nutrients and are a healthy high-fat, with no cholesterol or sodium. Additionally, this green, delicious fruit contains fiber, specifically, soluble fiber, which feeds and supports our gut bacteria.
- Trail mix (dried fruit and nuts) : Trail mix is a great after workout snack packed with protein, healthy fats and fiber! Look for a mix with almonds, which are high in unsaturated fats and protein. Other nuts to look for or add to your own homemade mix would be some walnuts and pecans. Also, add some coconut shavings and some dried fruits, like cranberries!
These are all simple and quick ways to replenish your body after a workout. Don't forget your H20!
Top tip: Have your post-workout snack within 45 minutes of finishing your exercise!