50th Anniversary of Earth Day: Staying Safe and Sustainable
Happy Earth Day!
Today marks the 50th anniversary of the celebration of our lovely Earth. Currently the Earth is facing enormous challenges such as, degradation of our ecosystems, climate change, loss of biodiversity and so much pollution.
Back in January 1969, off the coast of Santa Barbara, California more than 3-million gallons of oil spewed into the ocean. It devastatingly killed more than 10,000 seabirds, dolphins, seals, and sea lions, among other marine wildlife. In response to this disaster, activists mobilized to create environmental regulation, environmental education, and Earth Day. Fast forward 50 years later, we celebrate and continue to fight to protect the Earth.
However, this Earth Day is different as we find ourselves inside during COVID-19 shutdowns. Nevertheless, we are still celebrating this beautiful Earth and we hope you join us today and everyday to do so. While it may be a difficult time to physically connect with others and the Earth, we want to challenge you as it is actually a great time for us to take a step back and reflect on ourselves. In light of the current pandemic, Earth Day 2020 has been digitally mobilised.
The five components of Earth Day 2020 are:
(1) Citizen Science, where the "Earth Challenge 2020" encourages us, citizens to collect data that will help researchers measure air and water quality, pollution and human health. This will be revolutionary to obtain real-time data for science and tech companies to make predictions and save the Earth.
(2) Advocacy, which focuses on two themes this year, technological innovation and inclusive climate prosperity and this Earth Day is creating millions of new routes for civic engagement all around the world.
(3) Volunteering, last year you might recall the Great Global Cleanup. Well, good news: it is still happening! Since last years Earth Day, tons of people worldwide came together for a month to clean up rubbish. While we are faced with a pandemic currently, you can still safely get outside SOLO to clean up your local street / neighborhood.
(4) Education, Education is everything! Earth Day is building environmental and climate literacy worldwide so we are all on the same page when it comes to taking care of our Earth.
(5) Events, Earth Day is deemed as the planet's most significant civic engagement annual event.
(6) Artists for the Earth, Earth Day this year is calling upon artists to link up with science to educate others via art and to reach a broader audience.
Over here, at Origin X, we have become really consciously aware of how we spend and our wastage. It’s shocking when you take a moment to reflect on some of the habits that build up. Have you realized how quickly your bins are filling up? Don’t worry its not just you! We have noticed, too.
While it makes sense to have more waste as we are all staying in, eating more meals and trying our best to stay stocked up on food and essential items, it doesn’t have to result in a ton of waste.
Today, marking the 50th anniversary of Earth Day, we want you to be a bit more conscious. Just because our habits have changed, doesn’t mean we can’t challenge them and change them again!
We challenge you to take a step towards being waste-free today!
We have a few suggestions to get you started.
- Keep a list of all that you have eaten and drank
- Get all of the waste together after you’ve prepared and eaten it. Note if there’s lots of plastic, or if its more so food waste that is compostable. If you have leftovers, what are you storing them in?
- Where do you put all this waste? All in one bin? Or do you separate bits for recycling?
After you’ve noted these habits, this is when you can start implementing changes.
It's a challenge all in itself to make small & conscious choices during a time of amplified panic and uncertainty, however, these small choices can have a massive impact on your food habitats and in turn the environment.
In quarantine we can take small steps alone to become more conscious about the Earth and then when we are all able to come together again, our values and our habits will be enhanced and align to care for the Earth and nurture it! So join us on Earth Day today and give it a try!
Don't forget to check out our Earth Day Sale! We are offering 20% off but more importantly, we are planting THREE trees for each purchase rather than just the usual one!
HAPPY EARTH DAY!